Wednesday 20 January 2016

Forest Walk painting - Golspie Waterfall boardwalk

Last summer I went up to Brora in Sutherland (in the Scottish Highlands) with my family for a few days. Spectacular coastal scenery - loved it there. Even more fortuitous, we lucked out with the weather and were able to do lots of outdoorsy stuff, including a woodland walk at the village of Golspie, to view their lovely waterfall. To get to the waterfall you have to follow a little boardwalk path through some woods and it was a really spellbinding atmosphere. There was no-one else there that day and it felt like its own little world.

I wanted to try and capture the feeling of the place in paint. I started with this little study, 30 x 30cm, water-based oil on board.



I've been working on a larger version for several weeks now and here it is in it's current state, which I think is finished (I'll leave it to the side for a while and then go back in a month or so and see if I think it needs any further adjustments).


                                              Bridge Walk                                       


The final painting is 1m x 1m, acrylic (underlayers) and water-based oil (upper layers), on canvas. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave some feedback for me! Sheila